Sunday, August 26, 2012

Good News!

Good news, peeps! Annlie and Megan are in on the blogging of awkward frenzy! Now, I know, it isn't quite a frenzy yet. But it will be. Just wait.

The new and improved staff (yes, I am indeed calling it a staff - it makes it sound so much more professional and exciting) of Because Life is Awkward:
Anna - Yours truly! I'm at Weber (Go Wildcats! Just kidding. No one says that) and working at Gold's Gym Daycare (but that's not going to last, I've had just about enough of that dead end job). I live at home. Yay for that. But hey, it's cheap. 
Bree - Bree will be down in Provo (Go BYU! People really do say that) and working in a dentist's office (possibly? I'm not super well informed, so if I'm lying, I am really really sorry). 
Megan - Also at BYU (Go Cougs! I felt like Megan also needed a little "go team" thing thrown in there). And she will be working at the Office Depot in Orem.
Annlie - Annlie is way down south in Cedar City at SUU (Go Thunderbirds!). Which makes visiting a bit difficult, because it's clear down in almost freaking Mexico. Not really. But it may as well be for as often as I feel like taking a quick four hour drive. Sorry Annlie. My bad. She is working somewhere on campus? She's told me where, but I forget. The admissions office, perhaps?

So you see, we've got some good things going here. Look at all those different, potentially hilarious situations! We've got the living at home angle versus the out of home angle, we all have very different jobs just waiting for awkward to happen - this is good. This is going to be really good, peeps.

And now, for your story. And just to be mentioned in passing, the good news spoken of in the title of this post was referring to the addition of Annlie and Megan. Not the story. Because awkward, while entertaining, isn't good news. Ever.

This story is entitled: Get To Know You Games

I just hate those. Don't you? I hate get to know you games. They're so dumb. And I'm verging on anti-social anyways, so forced socialization is never good. I mean, really. If I want to talk to someone, I will. And I don't often want to talk to people I don't already know, so this usually isn't an issue anyways. I know, I know. I sound like a cave troll. I'm sorry. Socializing isn't my thing (but Bree and Annlie and Megan are good little socializers, so the blog will not suffer because of it - we got this all figured out). Sorry. Back to the get to know you games.

Today, after church, we had a Relief Society activity. Which was a little odd, because it was literally right after church in the cultural hall. But whatever. They gave us ice cream, so I can deal. However, I soon discovered they'll only lured us in with ice cream in order to force us to participate in some get to know you game. The worst one ever invented. We've all played this game before, I guarantee it. It's the one where they pass out a list or bingo board with different things written on it like, "has never broken an arm" or "has lived outside of the country". Then you wander around and ask strangers to sign your list next to things they've done. 

It's really stupid because, for one, I don't feel like it's helping me to actually get to know anyone. I'm just trying to get my whole list filled out. I don't spend time being like, "Wow, so you like the color purple? That's really great. My favorite colors are yellow and pink." That is not how it goes down. It's more like, "Do you wanna sign this? scribble scribble Thanks." Lame. 

And for another thing, well, I don't know. I just hate this game. It's so dumb! I used to dread the first week of school for this very reason. I swear, 75% of my classes in high school and junior high started with this game. That's one of the things I love very best about college. No more stupid pretenses about getting to know each other and being friends (unless your social, in which case you can make oodles of friends, I'm sure). I can go, listen to lecture, take my notes, and get out of there relatively unscathed without talking to another solitary soul. It is the best.

So I guess this isn't so much an awkward story as a monologue on the stupidness of awkward get to know games. But you know what? It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment